The Second Cook is responsible for the timely preparation and production of all assigned menu items. In addition, he is responsible for the cleanliness of the kitchen. The incumbent must assist the Executive Chef in the efficient operation of the kitchen and must prepare all assigned menu items in accordance with progressive cooking techniques and heart healthy guidelines, using the daily production sheet and approved recipes.
Knowledge of food requisition. Carefully inspect all ingredients before use, ensure all “vented” supplies are properly recorded and signed off on the NAVSUP 1282, and the Daily Production Sheet (NAVSUP 1090) is strictly followed.
Ensure that subsistence items, supplies and equipment are maintained in a neat, orderly and hygienic manner; assist in the proper care of perishable remains; package, label and refrigerate all usable leftovers; and follow all sanitation procedures and personal hygiene standards.
Ability to use kitchen/kitchen equipment safely and assist in the cleaning and maintenance of kitchen areas and associated equipment.
Everything in this job description is considered an essential function of this position. Performs other assigned duties.
Minimum eligibility conditions: Must be a U.S. citizen at least 18 years old and own and maintain:
- US passport with a minimum of seven months expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum ten (10) month expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Marine Certificate (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining from the expiration date.
Job specific requirements:
- MMC approved as: Ordinary Seaman, Wiper or Department of Stewards (FH)
- USCG medical certificate (without limitations/restrictions on food handling).
Must have at least one of the following specialized experiences. (Specialized experience is defined as having the following)
- One year (12 months) of cumulative service as a permanent CIVMAR assistant cook or temporary second cook. Experience as an Assistant Cook or Temporary Second Cook must have occurred within five years of the closing date of this advertisement. The candidate may exceed this five-year requirement if continuously employed in food service. AND Successful completion of the basic culinary course. MOREone of the following courses: Current US Armed Forces Food Safety and Sanitation Supervisor Course WHERE Current annual 4-hour sanitation course. WHERE
- Previous military kitchen experience (pay level E-4 or higher) with at least one culinary tour of at least 12 months in a food production capacity. Military service must have occurred within five years of the closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five-year requirement if continuously employed in food service. AND Successful completion of the military service food production course. MORE one of the following courses: U.S. Army Food Safety and Sanitation Supervisor Course and ONE of the following Current annual 4-hour sanitation course. WHERE
- Current certification as an American Culinary Federation (ACF) Certified Sous Chef or above. WHERE
- Graduated from an accredited culinary academy/school and followed Serv-Safe principles. WHERE
- Minimum of one year (documented) commercial kitchen experience and followed Serv-Safe principles.